How To Prevent Carbon Monoxide Exposure

Carbon Monoxide (CO), is an odorless, colorless gas, which can cause sudden illness and death.  CO is produced anytime a fossil fuel is burned.

  • Have your heating system and any other gas, oil, or coal burning appliances serviced by a qualified technician every season.
  • Install a battery operated CO detector in your home.  Be sure to check the batteries twice a year.  If the detector sounds leave your home and call 911.
  • Do NOT use a grill, camp stove, or other gasoline or charcoal-burning device inside your home, basement, garage, or near a window.
  • Do NOT run a vehicle inside a garage attached to your house.
  • In case of power outages—Do NOT use a generator inside of your home.  If you are burning anything in the stove or fireplace make sure that it is vented.

If you suspect CO poisoning and begin to feel dizzy, light-headed, or nauseous seek immediate medical attention.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.